Sunday, March 22, 2009

Its not that I don't love you,it's just that I don't say.

James and Jessica stood still staring into each others eyes and their faces had traces of sempiternal pain. Maybe a choice was made without the consequences realized. Something horrible has happened, not a nuclear holocaust or economic recession but between them -an indiscretion perhaps or things said without meaning in moments of unqualified rage.


Jessica is standing with one hip against the balcony, glass of wine in one hand, jeans rolled up, barefoot on the cold stone, hair moving lazily in what could almost be called a breeze. She's smoking a cigarette but doesn't really mean it, doesn't need the nicotine; she's smoking because of the habitual remembrance of comfort of before.


James is a few feet away, elbows on the railing, offering a sympathetic apology in the form of a sideways smile. He smokes his cigarette typically, slowly, taking definite drags and exhaling, watching the smoke boil and fade.

They are standing in the balcony of a 16th Floor building. It has a wrought iron railing, a table bought on the cheap with mismatched chairs and an umbrella that never stands straight. A potted plant in one corner, that hasn't yet started growing for the season.

Absolute silence prevailed in the environment, neither did they nor the plants or the table or the chair or the umbrella dared to break the silence.

Suddenly the silence was shattered. Jessica said, “Three years of courtship and now, two years into marriage, I would have to admit, that I am getting tired of it. The reasons of me loving you before, has now transformed into the cause of all my restlessness. I am a sentimental woman and extremely sensitive when it comes to a relationship and my feeling, I yearn for the romantic moments, like a little girl yearning for candy. You are my complete opposite, your lack of sensitivity, and the ability of bringing romantic moments into our marriage has disheartened me about love. I want a divorce”.

After a prolonged period James could utter only one word "Why?”.

Jessica replied, "I am tired; there are no reasons for everything in the world!"

He kept silent the whole time, seemed to be in deep thought with a lighted cigarette at all times.

Jessica’s feeling of disappointment only increased; here was a man who can't even express his predicament, what else could she hope from him?

And finally he asks her, "What can I do to change your mind?"

Looking deep into his eyes Jessica slowly answered: "Here is the question, if you can answer and convince my heart, I will change my mind, let's say, I want a flower located on the face of a mountain cliff, and we both are sure that picking the flower will cause your death, will you do it for me?"

He said: "I will give you my answer tomorrow...".And they both went to sleep, although sleep was far away from their eyes.

Jessica’s hopes just sank by listening to his response. She woke up the next morning to find him gone, and saw a piece of paper with his scratchy handwriting, underneath a paper weight, on the dining table near the front door, that goes...

Jessica, "I would not pick that flower for you because I just couldn’t die now.”

The first line was already breaking her heart but she continued reading just to finalize her decision to leave him for ever...

"You have never been accustomed to cleaning a house so I have to save my hand so that we can live in a cleaner environment.

You always forget the house keys behind, so I have to save my legs to rush home to open the door for you.

You always have the cramps whenever guests arrive; I have to save my palms so that I can calm the pain with a gentle massage.

You like to stay indoors, and I worry that you will be infected by infantile autism. I have to save my mouth to tell you jokes and stories to cure your boredom.

You always sit before the television, and that will do nothing good to your eyes, I have to save my eyes so that when we grow old, I can help to clip your nails, and comb your hair; and tell you the color of the flowers as I hold your hand while strolling down the beach as we enjoy the sunshine and the beautiful sand.

Thus, dear Jessica, unless I am sure that there is someone who loves you more than I do... I could not pick that flower yet and die.

I never discovered a reason why I loved you, so how can I discover reasons to hate you. I have always loved you even if I never said it. It was just that I cared too much for our future which seems to have ruined our present. I promise that from now you will never have a single reason to abandon me in the midst because it is obviously I who need you the most.

Jessica’s tears fell on the letter, and blurred the ink of his handwriting..."Now that you have finished reading my answer, if you are satisfied, please open the front door for I am standing outside bringing your favorite bread and fresh milk and vegetables that I have to cook for us before I leave for office since you like my recepies more.

Jessica rushed to pull open the door, and saw his anxious face, the milk bottle, loaf of bread and vegetables...

Now she was very much sure that no one will ever love her as much as he does, and she had decided to leave the flower alone...


P.S:-I wasn't writing on this,so do not curse me if you do not like it.It just happened when I read a joke on husband and wives.

1 comment:

  1. good one.............i will not curse u fr dis.........

    ReplyDelete